I found the music
At one time in my life -- a time that was much too short -- music was a passion for me. Then, it kind of became a hobby when I discovered my true passion: Getting a weekly paycheck.
My wife has a friend who is a musician. Not a hack like me, but a real musician who has produced and released a real CD. (Locally, of course; she's not on anybody's top 40 yet.) Her voice is reminiscent of Nanci Griffith, with a little bit of Alison Krauss and Stevie Nicks thrown in. She writes most of her own songs, a great range of country and folk stuff.
She came over and played some music with me a few nights ago, and left behind a wonderful gift: A C.F. Martin, the industry standard of acoustic guitars. This six-string is a model D-18, made in 1971. Her house is teeming with musical instruments, and she was going to sell it to make room. At the last second, she thought better of it. It's now on long-term loan to me (so she could gain that closet space) while she decides what do with it.
I can tell you that when she is ready to sell it, she has a buyer. Thanks to this instrument, I have re-discovered my passion for playing guitar.
I hadn't played an acoustic with any regularity for probably 15 years, preferring instead to piss off my neighbors (or, at least, my pets) with the 15-watt roar of my Fender Telecaster. But I learned on an acoustic, and really, the style of music I play now is better suited for an acoustic. This guitar is well-worn, but it sounds like a dream. It actually makes me sound like I know how to play a little bit.
I don't plan to give up the weekly paycheck anytime soon, or, really, ever. I'm still a hack. But now I'm a hack with a really nice guitar.
No comments:
Post a Comment