I'm old enough to run for president. But I won't
It's time for the annual acknowledgment of my having made another lap around the calendar. This time last year, I was moaning something about "feeling like time is running out" or some other equally fatalist crap.
An awful lot has changed in the last year. We were going to make one major lifestyle change, then switched up and made another instead. I took a step back in the career in order to step ahead. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the second half of my life, which officially starts today.
Of course, I haven't found the answer yet. But I have some ideas. I think I'll consider:
Appreciating what I have. As I say hello to 35, I'm reasonably healthy, I'm happily married, I have three fun and well-adjusted kids. I'm fairly well-off financially, at least well-off enough to get me through the next two weeks. I have a job that pays me well and offers the occasional reward. I live in arguably the best area in the country (as long as you're OK with bugs, lizards, tourists and hurricanes, which I am).
Looking for reasons to do something, rather than for reasons to not do something. It's easy to debunk just about any idea. But that's not how things get done. Seems to me it might be better to start letting a few ideas roll rather than riding the brakes.
Getting outside more. Time was I would have given my right arm to live in an outdoorsperson's paradise. Then I stopped being an outdoors person. Too expensive, not enough time, incompatible with small children. I'm strongly considering taking my next several hundred dollars to Bass Pro Shops and reacquiring all the equipment I've let get away over time.
I'm listening to other ideas. Please share.
No comments:
Post a Comment