Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Extreme Business Travel

SEATAC, Wash. -- I mentioned earlier that this is my last extended trip for a while. I'm definitely making the most of it.

My day started with work at 7:30 a.m. Pacific time. I left the paper in north-central Washington at 4:30 p.m. for the four-hour drive to Seattle.

That four-hour drive took me along U.S. Highway 2, one of the most stunningly beautiful roads I have ever seen. Ever. And that includes the Pacific Coast Highway. The western slopes of the Cascades on one side and the Wenatchee River flowing on the other, gentle curves and slopes leading me to Seattle. Just fantastic.

Now, for the "extreme" part: I'm waiting for a flight that leaves at 11:45 p.m. PDT. This flight will land in Houston just shy of 6 a.m. Central time. I'll wait there for a couple of hours before boarding a puddle-jumper to my little South Texas destination, which will land about 9 a.m.

The plan goes something like this: Early check-in at hotel, quick shower, shake off the cobwebs and be in front of the customer at 11. On site until 7, grab some dinner (maybe) and a few hours of sleep, and be homebound at 5:20 a.m. CDT Thursday.

The trip to Texas was planned. The trip to north-central Washington wasn't. The Texas trip, however, couldn't be moved. The trip to north-central Washington couldn't be avoided. So here I am. My hotel room tonight is seat 8D of a Boeing 737-800. I'm guessing there'll be no chocolate on the pillow.

No comments: